This is my letter to the world, That never wrote to me, -- The simple news that Nature told, With tender majesty. Her message is committed To hands I cannot see; For love of her, sweet countrymen, Judge tenderly of me! - emily dickinson -

Thursday, September 29, 2005

next morning

i can't remember how early we arrived at kuala kangsar. but i remember that we still managed to stop for breakfast at a roadside stall. the stall was near a small river that itself was flowing into a bigger river just a stone's throw away. from where we sat, i could see a roundabout with a clock tower in the center and people busily going about in cars and on foot all around.

after breakfast, we headed for the school. i was a deaf mute staring blankly at nothing in particular until i saw the white columns.

they were not exactly white. but in the morning sun, they seemed to blaze in white, glowing amid the green angsanas that lined the road we were traveling on and the clear blue sky above us. my sight was overloading with that glow as we neared it. what the?

as we got closer, the trees flanking the road and framing the glowing columns gave way to a panorama of more glowing columns that stretched out left and right forever. what i saw were a pair of gigantic arms stretching out, ready to grab anyone who dared to venture closer and confine him in a mighty embrace. in my young mind, if my brother-in-law did not turn the car around and speed off, i would forever be caught in that embrace. but i couldn't move my mouth to warn him nor could i move myself to open the door, jump off the moving vehicle, land in a tumble, roll up onto my feet, turn the other way and dash for dear life toward home. so, when we drove through the gate, i concluded that my life had taken a dreadful turn.

well, actually, we took the wrong turn. the person at the gate told us that the registration for new intakes was at another venue. we were to turn the car around and head for the prep school. the what school?

but at least the turning around portion of my wish did come true. sigh.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home