This is my letter to the world, That never wrote to me, -- The simple news that Nature told, With tender majesty. Her message is committed To hands I cannot see; For love of her, sweet countrymen, Judge tenderly of me! - emily dickinson -

Tuesday, July 12, 2005

necessary

as it turned out, all my anxieties concerning the traffic fine were for naught.

i bled two hundred bucks earlier this year for running a red light -- lunch-hour rush, i was the last car, so happened that there was a traffic snoop in the bushes.

and now, another ticket for parking in the wrong place at nine on a school night in an almost deserted street in kuala terengganu. is that really necessary here in bolehland?

i think i bitched so much that my wife called up the police station to check up on the amount i was supposed to pay. seventy bucks. well, at least it wasn't two hundred. but if i appeal, it could go down to fifty. appeal? i tossed the choices around in my mind as i headed for the marang police station. appeal? is that so necessary?

the cop on duty was all smiles. that was nice. i showed him the ticket and he grinned even wider. the line was down, he told me. great! so, when could i expect the line to be up? he told me to come again the next day. just great!

but at least he was polite. quite unexpected.

i was there again yesterday afternoon. same smiley face behind the chilled counter. he would make an excellent cutout, i tell you. they hadn't entered my ticket into the system, he told me. so.....? it would take a while, he said. i'd wait, i told him. so, he keyed away as i paced about. the buletin board had the same news clippings that i read a couple of months back.

mr. smiley called me and merrily announced that i only had to pay thirty bucks. say what? he mumbled something but it didn't matter. but hey, cool! so, i gave him a fifty. and then he asked if i had small change. oh, man! the police too?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home